The Domain Name System (DNS) helps users to find their way around the Internet. Every computer on the Internet has a unique address - just like a telephone number - which is a rather complicated string of numbers. It is called its "IP address" (IP stands for "Internet Protocol"). IP Addresses are hard to remember. The DNS makes using the Internet easier by allowing a familiar string of letters (the "domain name") to be used instead of the arcane IP address. So instead of typing 18.104.22.168, you can type www.internic.net. It is a "mnemonic" device that makes addresses easier to remember.
What is domain registration ?
Domain registration is the process by which a company or individual can secure a website domain, such as www.yoursite.com. Once you have completed domain registration the domain becomes yours for the period of the contract, usually one year. Before registration expires it must be renewed, or the domain reverts back to being available to the general public.
During the domain registration process, you will be required to give contact information that will be publicly available through the WHOIS database. Anyone can go to a WHOIS search engine and enter a domain name to see who has registered it. Registrars require that this information be accurate and true.
Be sure you will own the domain name, as some registrars maintain control over the domains they register. And be sure you retain the option to transfer the domain to another registrar, if you wish. There might be an initial period after which this becomes possible. Look for any fees that might be incurred as a result of transferring the domain. This could become important down the road if you wish to take advantage of another registrar's products or services.
If desired, you can register more than one domain name at the same time. Registering is done one step at a time as outlined below.
- Use the Search function to verify that the domain name(s) you'd like is/are available
- Select the domain name(s) you want to register
- Setup your account control panel by entering a UserName and Password
- Select the number of years you want to register
- Enter information to register your ownership of the domain name(s)
- Click on "Continue"
- Review your contact information. If the same information is to be used for the Technical, Administrative and Billing contacts, nothing further needs to be done. However, if there is different person to be listed as the Technical, Administrative and/or Billing contacts, click on that title to enter their information. If these are not changed, the registrant (owner) will be listed as all contacts. Clickon "Continue"
- Enter the DNS - Domain Name Services - data for your website host... don't worry this isn't complicated.
- Add WebE-mail or E-mail Forwarding (if desired) and confirm that all the registration information is correct. You don't need a website to setup e-mail using AnyName@YourDomainName.
- Review and confirm that item(s) being ordered is/are correct
- Make payment by credit card - shopping cart is Thawte SSL secured
- Use your browser's Print button to print a receipt